Entrepreneurship Cell (E-cells) is set up to foster entrepreneurship among the students. It is like a club, run by students and driven by the management of the institutes.
Students learn important & useful trait about entrepreneurship. Even though students do not take up entrepreneurship as a full-time profession, the skill sets learned as E-Cell members would be extremely helpful to them in any job.
E-Cells conduct several activities such as workshops, interaction with successful entrepreneurs, building prototypes, setting up small campus companies where other students can be your customers, internship opportunities with outside companies etc. in order to cultivate the below skill set among the students:
- Organizing skill: Since the E-cell is typically run by the students, they learn how to organize various activities from end-to-end. This requires them to coordinate with different stakeholders, bring consensus among them and align them to chase the single goal.
- Team building skill: Any activity requires multiple people support to execute it successfully. Students learn to find the right person for the right job. They also learn to trust their team member and encourage them to finish the tasks. They also understand that to achieve any goal, they need to take their team along. In a real entrepreneurial journey, as they say, a Class B idea with Class A team is better than Class A idea with Class B team.
- Sales & Marketing skill: This is one quality that every entrepreneur must learn. The college campus company activity allows the students to sell their products or services to the customers in real time.
- Convincing Skill: To achieve success in your entrepreneurial journey, you need to learn to take your team along and this essentially requires lots of convincing skill. The e-cell activities provide an excellent platform to hone this skill.
- Relationship building: In order to execute the events, a student has to liaison with various college departments/authorities and get things done from them. Hence relationship building becomes very critical for the success.
- Knowledge about compliance: Students have to run pillar to post to get the necessary permission & approval from the management to organize the events. They cannot break the rules and work within the constraint. This I equate to the various compliance related work that an entrepreneur requires to do during the start-up journey.
- Sponsorship: Sometimes students have to find the sponsors to fund their events/activities. This is equal to finding investors in the entrepreneurial journey.
Purpose of E-Cell
The purpose of entrepreneurship cell is three-fold, namely,
- To bring out entrepreneurial flair in students.
- To make students understand entrepreneurial attitude and entrepreneurial skills.
- To provide them with a platform which gives them number of innovative opportunities to develop the entrepreneur in them.