Programme Educational Objectives (PEO's)
Programme Specific Objectives (PSO's)
B.Tech. Biomedical Engineering is offered in Collaboration with Vital Biosystems, Chennai, Stann Biomed Pvt. Ltd., Coimbatore
From 2014 onwards
B.Tech in BioMedical Engineering is a four years full time programme. Biomedical Engineering is a discipline that integrates the knowledge core of traditional engineering and modern biology to solve problems pertaining to human health.
- Understand physiology and biology to make measurements and interpret data from living systems.
- Apply science and technology to solve the problems at the interface of engineering and biology.
- Design, implement and test biomedical signal processing systems.
- Develop biomedical instruments using hardware and software tools.
The department of Biomedical Engineering (BME), started in June 2009 offering M.E-BMI (Biomedical Instrumentation) program and later the undergraduate B.Tech Biomedical Engineering program was introduced in 2014. Biomedical Engineering is a discipline that integrates the knowledge core of traditional engineering and modern biology to solve problems pertaining to human health. There is an increasing demand for biomedical engineers as they play a greater role in analyzing a problem from both an engineering and biological perspective to anticipate the difficulties in working with living systems and to evaluate the possible approaches to solutions. The Biomedical Engineering program provides a strong foundation in the basic sciences, electronics and instrumentation engineering and life sciences coupled with opportunities for research and internships.
The department has a team of qualified, dedicated and committed faculty members who groom the students as holistic Bio-medical Engineers. The department houses, state of the art laboratories with cutting edge technologies catering to the needs of Bio-medical field. In order to empower the students, hands on training on Real time signal acquisition and processing, Design and Fabrication of Bio-medical systems and softwares like LabVIEW, Matlab. To expose the students to latest teaching learning process smart class room, video lectures, mini projects and case studies have been introduced. This prepares the students to face the challenges of the technical era with confidence and self-esteem
Scope Of Employability
Bio-medical engineers are employed in industries, hospitals, research faculties of educational and medical institutes, teaching and government regulatory agencies. Bio-medical engineers are required in medical clinics and hospitals for routine and breakdown maintenance, where they are responsible for acceptance testing, maintenance planning, risk analysis, routine calibration, preventive maintenance, repairs, maintaining inventory of spare parts etc. Biomedical engineers employed in industries work toward design, development and research for device manufacturing and technology development. This includes modifying the existing equipment, software development, networking etc. Biomedical Engineers will typically do the following:
- Design systems and products such as artificial organs, artificial devices that replace body parts and machines for diagnosing medical problems.
- Install, adjust, maintain, repair or provide technical support for biomedical equipment.
- Evaluate the safety, efficiency and effectiveness of biomedical equipment.
- Train clinicians and other personnel on the proper use of equipment.
- Work with life scientists, chemists and medical scientists to research the engineering aspects of biological systems of humans and animals.
Research and Development
Biosignal Processing research focus is on the acquisition and analysis of signals and images in clinical medicine and biological sciences .These signal and images are processed by various software to provide Physicians with real-time data and greater insights to aid in clinical assessments, earlier detection of adverse events and better management of chronic diseases. It includes the following research areas:
- Real time acquisition and monitoring of Biosignals.
- Design of Signal processing algorithms
- Neuro Engineering
- ECG signal processing, classification and interpretation.
- Cloud Computing
- Embedded Signal Processing
- Medical Imaging and Image Processing
- Soft Computing
The research on Biomedical Systems encompasses, innovative approaches to non-invasive diagnostic services, clinical trials and low cost devices. It focuses on design and development of sensors for detecting and monitoring of diseases, new tool development for basic and applied life science and controlled drug delivery devices. It includes the following research areas:
- Rehabilitation Engineering
- Bio sensors
- Tele medicine
- Artificial Intelligence in medicine
- Biomedical Informatics.
INFRASTRUCTURE AND FACILITIES
- Bio- virtual instrumentation Lab
- Embedded Lab
- Bio-sensors Lab
- Biomedical Instrumentation Lab
- Project Development Lab
- Bio-signal Conditional Lab
- Salzer Electronics Limited, Coimbatore
- Siemens, Mumbai
- VI-Microsystems Pvt Ltd, Chennai.
- Vital Biosystems Pvt Ltd, Chennai
- STAAN biomed Pvt Ltd, Coimbatore.
- South India Textile Research Association, Coimbatore.
- Karunya Rural Community Hospital, Karunya Nagar.
B.Tech. Robotics & Automation is offered in Collaboration with Vi Microsystems, Chennai, Technopac Automation Ltd., Coimbatore, Jasmin Infotech, Chennai
B.Tech - Robotics & Automation has become one of the top most career choices among the aspirants. As an independent branch of Engineering, robotics deals with the design, construction, operation, and applications of robots. This technology provides industrial automation solutions with the view to augment production process. With the advent of 21st Century, the use and functionality of robotics have gained impetus because of its use in very difficult and hazardous job like defusing bombs and mines. This course enriches the takers in electromechanics, robotic sensors and instrumentation, robotics fabrication, artificial intelligence and machine vision.
From 2008 onwards
M.Tech. Embedded Systems is offered in Collaboration with Vi Microsystems, Chennai, Technopac Automation Ltd., Coimbatore, Jasmin Infotech, Chennai
M.Tech. in Embedded Systems is a two years full time programme under the EIE Program, course offers the technology for the fast moving world. Embedded systems is becoming more and more pervasive, touching virtually in all aspects of daily life.
The PG Students of M.Tech. (ES) will be able to
- Specify, design, prototype and test real time embedded systems for signal processing applications based on mathematics and digital principles
- Specify and design system software and tools for real time embedded applications.
- Apply knowledge of various embedded processor architecture for industrial automation, sensors, computing, wireless networking and other applications.
- Design, test and critically evaluate embedded solutions to real world situations related to biomedical, robotics, automobile and other applications.
M.Tech. Biomedical Instrumentation is offered in Collaboration with Vital Biosystems, Chennai, Stann Biomed Pvt. Ltd., Coimbatore
From 2009 onwards
M.Tech. in BioMedical Instrumentation is a two years full time programme under the EIE Program, Course provides a strong foundation in the basic sciences, electronics and instrumentation engineering and life sciences coupled with opportunities for research and internships.
The PG Students of M.Tech. (BMI) will be able to
- Understand the advanced concepts and achieve technical expertise.
- Apply techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary to Contribute effectively to research for finding solution to human problems.
- Acquire, analyze biomedical signals and interpret the data from physiological system for diagnosis and therapy.
- Develop and test medical devices through engineering practices, for telehealth technology.
Name of the Faculty
Identification of a nonlinear system and controller design using various advanced control strategies
Mr. P.Vijay Daniel
Controlling of Nonlinear system
Model-based controller design for wastewater treatment process
Mrs. Lina Rose
Some aspects of sensor technology in agriculture and water technology
Mr. Devendra Prajapati
Non-Invasive arthritis Diagnostic System
1. List of faculty members having guide-ships with research areas
Area of Specialization
Dr. D. Abraham Chandy
Bio-Medical signal & Image Processing, Computer Vision and Robotics
Dr. X. Anitha Mary
VLSI Design, Process Modelling and Control, Embedded Systems